What is Mobile Responsive Website Design (examples)?
At the age of Internet early development there was a small number of websites, as well as users in the network. Internet speed was low, and if you remember a weirdly squeaking modem and its speed of 64kb/s, then you know what I'm talking about. I'm positive to say that in fact, Internet connection was limited. We were surfing it from our computers according to a schedule (or money availability on a special card). Recently Google introduced mobile search index as the main one. So be aware of this web design trends.
Our computers were old, and the concepts of smartphones, tablets and other progressive devices did not exist at all. The first revolution in responsive websites did Steve Jobs, who showed the world the iPhone. Since then, people have gained freedom and realized that they can have Internet access in almost every corner of the world. But there was a trouble, since, the iPhone screen is 3.5 inches, while the width of the web page is 1024 pixels. So there were constantly appearing these annoying scroll bars. How on earth could this be used?
That was a start of responsive website development. This was something between a mobile version of the website and its desktop design.
Quite a smart question, is not it? But in fact responsive one is not a mobile version, it's a completely different phenomenon. So, let's figure out in brief what a mobile version of the website is and how it differs from responsive.
Mobile version is a separate directory, a subdomain, which is optimized only for mobile devices. There is a special algorithm in this version that compresses pictures, places the elements and navigation in the most convenient way. Often mobile version is similar to an application and has a very user-friendly interface. Here is a good example of a mobile version: https://m.facebook.com.
A responsive website is a website that has an ability of adaptation to any device. It can also be called a website of great durability. Units at the responsive website on a smartphone simply line up one under another, thereby making it more readable. Also, mobile website is "must have" for any eCommerce website as well as restaurant website.
Mobile version is much more convenient and faster than a responsive website. But there is one considerable disadvantage in it. Mobile version of the site is a separate site that requires as much development and support as the main version. Not every company can afford to develop a mobile version for their project or MVP as soon as it is quite expensive.
So, we have managed this issue. Thus, who does need a responsive website and is it worth to be created?
Here are some advantages of the responsive website:
1. It has the same web address. This makes it easy to share a link with your friends, easily open on different devices and you could be 100% sure that it's well displayed.
2. Google encourages a responsive website in the SERP. So that, you can get more clients.
3. It makes easier and faster to perform SEO promotion for a responsive website as long as there is the same URL.
4. Increasing sales, since more than 74% customers use smartphones as a helper in different purchases.
5. Mobile users’ loyalty increasing, since more than 25% of Americans use only a mobile device to Internet access.
Some interesting statistics from the bank ING:
So how ideal responsive websites look like? Here at Merehead we are acting in accordance with a standard that is worldwide approved by users and allows surfing at the adopted version from any kind of device, just minimizing your browser. All sections and blocks will automatically adjust to your screen size and will look comfortable. If you are thinking about building a website or mobile app please read our detailed guide. We've talked about the pros and cons.
1. A mobile version becomes available to the user only after the page is reloaded. This is the most common problem. In website or graphic design there were problems, and it could be corrected only when a user refreshes the page. Https://www.dollartree.com in fact, it is no longer a responsive website, however, it has a similar method of operation. The script is determined by the device user agent and it gives the required version. In case of proper responsive website designing, entire site should not be operated by scripts on the server or by a client-side.
2. Tablet devices should not be forgotten. The tablet market has stopped replacing computers, but nevertheless, customers widely use them.
3. Accompanying functions. Mobile browsing is not just about an adaptation for small screens. We get accustomed to using sites instead of navigation arrows, and menu links should be in the form of buttons.
Indeed, responsive website development goes side by side with the design of the interface. And it generates much deeper interaction with the user. However, our efforts were worth the gained result. In our approach to website designing, users feel like home. This has a positive effect on users’ rates of involvement, interest and other indicators like page views and their duration. And the last, but not least a complete list of best CSS frameworks.
If your site hasn’t been considered yet as a responsive one, then you are losing lots of prospective customers.