Popular API management tools. Source
Tools are defined as the technology used by developers to operate and manage APIs:
Administration platforms allow centralized control, provide guarantees for strict support of performance and security guidance.
Control solutions are delivered in conjunction with the other services. They are necessary to simplify the deployment of integration, operation with other settings and developers. The main components of API management are:
- Gateway - the access points to services within the same ecosystem. It routes requests from clients to external protocols. They guarantee the security of the API. Open authorization and TLS encryption are applied. Developers have access to the application of microservices in the form of controlled APIs.
- Developer Portal. Different scopes component with the main plus - that developers can personally look and distribute documentation on the API. This portal is needed to speed up the research, creation and testing of their own APIs, making the work of the team easier.
- Reporting and analytics. Organizations can measure the number of users by any method with this element. API services work through an artificial method of monitoring availability, response time and performance. Some provide tools for analytics with protocols to extract information under automatic reporting, analysis. Using such resources, businesses will be able to make the right decision to their own applications, services, locating and removing possible integration issues.
- API lifecycle management. Integration is an important element for digital transformation. API lifecycle control provides a number of benefits. Management turns out to be a long-term one with 100% control of each stage (testing, development, adaptation, administration).
Being aware of all the features of API integration, let's break down the TOP tools for their management, implementation, testing.
Top 5 API management tools
Check out a list of the best options for API management.
Considered one of the best and affordable solutions, suitable for partner, cloud, consumer applications. It can also be used for recording systems, IoT or software developed exclusively for company employees. Users can create, protect, evaluate, or extend APIs through such software, no matter where they are located.
- Ability to deliver the desired results (responses) using a proxy or agent.
- Easier for developers to shape new cloud software.
- Creators can create and distribute their software without any problems.
- Tracking and measurement is available with a built-in analytics tool that shows API traffic data, with KPI measurements.
Apigee gives you full control of your APIs, monitoring the entire workflow.
According to Gartner, this control platform is considered promising for 2023 because of its powerful API infrastructure integration, and interesting design.
- Gives users access to multiple API standards at once.
- API lifecycle can be fully monitored.
- 100% site customization for developers.
- A secure gateway for analytics, allowing you to scale and adapt the API.
The tool is good for administration and application bundling. The solution works effectively in creating APIs and provides a complete guide to developing a network of applications from scratch.
The main parameters are:
- A single API platform.
- Forming a community, with the possibility of using it to work and support with other specialists.
Software providing integration of cloud data warehouses. It includes content work, creation of software, and API administration.
- API trend analytics.
- Complete development guide.
The term of this tool means "oxygenation of web resources" in translation. The platform is a cloud type, local and suitable for API management. It has an open source and gives the ability to control the entire lifecycle. Among the additional solutions we will highlight the usage of monetization and administration.
- Due to monetization there is the possibility of an additional source of income for developers from the platform.
- API traffic control with protection against possible threats.
- Availability of analysis software that measures and monitors results.
Top 5 open-source API management tools
In deploying modern software, open-source API management tools are almost standard. Let's take a look at 5 gateways for IT infrastructure without organizing the list by specific hierarchy.
Architectural components of API management solutions. Source
Kong Gateway (OSS).
The API gateway is characterized by cross-platform compatibility, popular with developers, despite being complex in its own right. It is developed for the Lua language, with support for hybrid and multi-cloud architectures. Kong was built from scratch to achieve high performance, portability and extensibility.
A robust, lightweight gateway built in Go. The cloud architecture is easy to extend and connect. The tool is self-contained, storage is possible via Redis. There is the ability to publish, manage legacy services, REST and GraphQL.
- rate limitation;
- version control;
Before releasing, there is an option to simulate the API.
An API gateway with no state saving, built with Go for maximum speed. It is characterized by portability and the lack of a database and is easily configurable
. A large number of endpoints, server parts are supported in the tool.
The following services are available to users:
- QoS functions;
- detailed timeouts;
KrakenD includes SSL, proxy services, has a flexible design with the ability to add features, plugins or scripts without replacing source code.
Java-based development will allow companies to protect, analyze and publish their APIs. Includes 3 modules:
- API management - an effective tool, it can be customized.
- Access Management (AM) - simplified identity and access management model based on OAuth2/OpenID Connect.
- Alert Engine (AE) - helps you to monitor your API platform quickly and easily, with alerts and their configuration. A similar module will help identify questionable behavior.
Built on Go, is a traffic controller. It is integrated with Kubernetes and supports classic applications, microservices and serverless software. You can link your own environment to it, choosing security, scheduling tools.
Developers will be able to make hybrid software using different technology bases, architectures, and protocols. Gloo Edge combines GraphQL, gRPC, OpenTracing, NATS, etc. which gives an excellent functionality.
Top 4 free API management tools
Now let's take a look at the free API management methods that will help not only beginners but also experienced developers and administrators:
- MuleSoft Anypoint - a free solution, gives you the ability to create a software network that includes applications, data and devices when they are deployed.
- Workato - is a popular platform for API integration and automation. It automates many business processes by linking applications without compromising security. Companies with this product can influence the results of events in real time.
- io is a leading automation platform with a serverless design. The Tray platform is characterized by a minimal code, however, a complete data security and enterprise support.
- Kong API Gateway - is fast and scalable tool, characterized by versatility. The platform is freeware suitable for API management. Kong Enterprise is responsible for the protection, maintenance and tracking of all services, which helps to accelerate all innovations.
Best tools for API testing
In addition to integration and API management, it is important to still understand the tools. There are 10 different options among the popular and in-demand ones for 2023.
The best API testing tools. Source
A widespread tool around the world for checking APIs. It is used not only by testers, but also for developers, regular project managers. It is suitable for working with APIs, API-related services, and is also appropriate for sending/receiving HTTP requests and many other tasks.
- Logical testing without the command line.
- Extracting API information through the Postman menu.
- Functions for test automation, debugging, API control.
- Easy to use REST client.
You can send HTTP requests and get JSON answers with Postman. The software provides users with powerful capabilities for testing, controlling and combining the Postman API with Katalon Studio.
Complimentary environment for automating gadget and web development application testing. Fitting for controlling functional parameters of web service and software itself.
The main parameters:
- Availability commands and customizable functions.
- Implementation of the user interface and API on different platforms, in Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
- AssertJ support.
- There is a possibility of automated testing or exploratory tests.
Users can make tests that can simulate application actions or send queries
. The results will help to identify bugs or verify software behavior under different factors.
The tool supports HTTP, AMQP, SOAP and other protocols. Main emphasis is placed on reliability and accuracy, high informative API check results.
The main features are:
- Improved reuse of scripts.
- You can do end-to-end testing by running API tests in mobile, cross-browser and applications.
- Fast and efficient regression checks.
- Manual testing without a Tosca environment.
A Platform for simplifying tests of REST services with Java domain languages (DSL). It is suitable for REST APIs and working with endpoints before releasing them.
- Functionality helps to develop software without single problems.
- Different authentication methods for tests and API validation.
- HTTP support.
- Suitable for seamless Serenity integration.
A powerful but easy to use tool for testing the functionality of SOAP and REST APIs. It features an advanced platform to help developers test their APIs. Infrastructure creates tests using industry-standard protocols, specifying with high accuracy which HTTP methods, headers, and response content to apply.
The characteristics are:
- Simplifies complex work with JSON and XML.
- You can download information from a database, files or Excel to work with API consumers.
- Free package includes access to SoapUI source code.
Tests are dynamic, adapting automatically to the output API information if the input data changes.
It is a performance testing tool. This is a powerful software for testing various web services and programs.