As for monetization, LetGo makes money with:
- Favorite lists. A premium feature that places an ad at the top of the listing, that is, over the natural search results. LetGo claims that thanks to this, the selected lists receive twice as many views. No sales statistics for selected listings.
- LetGo Pro. Feature for professional car dealers. For subscribing, they will be able to automatically update the listing and receive calls from customers through the application. Prices: 99 dollars a month - 0 cars, 399 dollars - 70 cars, 599 dollars - 150 cars.
- Google Ads. Contextual advertising of products, services.
An important point! Since the content of advertising banners in LetGo
is relevant to the search queries of users, this creates a conflict of interest: the application must sell the products of users, and contextual advertising - products of third-party suppliers. In order to avoid this conflict, contextual advertising should promote either services, or related products, or third-party web resources.
For example, if a user entered the query “iPhone”, advertising should promote websites and blogs, smartphone repair services or games, cases, headphones, chargers, and the like. True, related products can also be sold by LetGo users, therefore it is better that advertising only promotes services and third-party services.
Step 3: Basic and Advanced Functions
Copying existing LetGo functions is certainly a good way to create your own mobile application. However, in order to succeed, you will need to somehow stand out from the competition. Firstly, you can take into account their shortcomings and develop a more advanced service. Secondly, you can create a unique function that only your application will have.
LetGo is unique in its artificial intelligence and image recognition system, which simplify and speed up the publication of announcements. In addition, the application boasts a convenient built-in chat (not on Craigslist) and video listing. All this must be in your application, as well as the following functions:
- Registration. Almost all modern marketplace applications have the function of registering via email, phone or social networks. This function allows you to save users time, because they will not need to provide their data each time (address, phone). In addition, without registration it is impossible to create a rating system and / or leave reviews.
- Create a profile. It is necessary to enter personal data, save the history of operations, communicate with other users, etc. If registration is through Facebook, most of this data should be automatically retrieved from the social network.
- Ads, listings. LetGo creates ads automatically thanks to artificial intelligence and an image recognition system. In addition, short videos can be used in this application. When developing an application similar to LetGo, you should create similar functions, and it is desirable that they work better than your competitor.
- In addition to determining the user’s location and interface language, LetGo’s GPS integration is used to increase the relevance of listings: the system prefers to bring together counterparties that are within a 50 mile radius of each other (similar to how Tinder does).
- Search engine. In addition to searching for products by keyword, category, location, date and cost, you need to add an option to expand or narrow the search range for some parameters, for example, seller rating, availability of reviews, preferred payment method, etc.
- Built-in chat. It would be extremely inconvenient to buy and sell goods online without the opportunity to discuss the details of the transaction. To reduce the cost and speed up the creation of a marketplace application like LetGo, you can integrate it with popular instant messengers: WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, Skype or Facebook Messenger.
- Built-in camera. The ability to take photos in the application and immediately add them to the ad will greatly enhance the user experience. Also, users will be pleased to be able to edit photos, cut them, adjust the brightness and contrast.
- Comments and ratings. Allows you to create a reputation for each user to protect buyers from unreliable sellers, and vice versa. User rating should be displayed next to his nickname.
- Support multiple languages. Expands audience reach. Ideally, you need the support of your country's language and six major international languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, German) plus Chinese and Hindi.
In addition to the basic functions that are enough for the marketplace to work fully, it is also advisable to add several functions that will increase the user value of the service and distinguish you from competitors.
These functions include:
- Price and performance comparison. Helps users make more informed choices in favor of a product.
- Recommendations and hot offers. Contextual offers based on search queries and past user activity. If you make this list paid, it will increase your income.
- Image Recognition. Thanks to this feature, the application will be able to give recommendations on how to classify a product, how much it costs and how to create a description of it. In addition, with this function you can track the quality of photos and determine their authenticity (whether they were previously used). In reviews and on forums of trading web sites, people often complain about the quality of the photos or that they are fake. Some services solve this problem by requiring sellers to add at least one live photo of the product.
- Integration with delivery services. Concluding agreements with external delivery services and using their services inside the application will improve the user experience and save time on both sides of the transaction.
Step 4: Attractive and convenient UX / UI design
The design of LetGo is simple, comfortable and attracts attention (due to the red color)
Now that you have decided on the idea, business model and functionality, you can think about what UI / UX design the application will have
. At LetGo, the design is aimed at young people who prefer bright colors and do not like to waste time learning. That is why LetGo developers use a color scheme combining red and white (red attracts attention more than other colors), and the application interface is as simple and intuitive as possible.
When creating your application, you should use a similar scheme, because users want to see the familiar model. However, blindly copying the design is not worth it, because it is, firstly, illegal, and secondly, unreasonable: people do not like outright plagiarism. A professional design studio will help to maintain a balance between borrowing and creating a new one.
Step 5: Affordable and Secure Payment Gateways
Next, you need to think about which payment gateways your application will use for financial settlements between buyers and sellers (if your application will act as a financial intermediary in these transactions). PayPal, Stripe and Braintree are great options if you are creating a site for North America and Western Europe. If not, study the local market (competitors, legislation) and use popular payment methods in the desired region.
We wrote more about this in the article “How to Choose and Integrate a Payment Gateway”. There you will find a list of payment service providers and their comparison, as well as information on what criteria to pay attention to when selecting them.
Step 6: Marketing Policy