This approach is unfair because they work alone and others become millionaires. In decentralized social networks, a different model is used: every view, like, comment and other active actions of the audience are monetized and bring profit to the creator of the content. Advertising can also be run, and it will be profitable for users, not Facebook or YouTube owners.
How to build a decentralized social network
Step 1: Key idea
Facebook is communication with old friends and the search for new ones, as well as the opportunity to get news about them. LinkedIn allows you to build business and professional connections. YouTube allows you to upload your video to the network in unlimited quantities and show it to anyone. Instagram has the same idea, but with a photo orientation.
When creating a decentralized network based on the blockchain, start by finding an original idea that could be implemented with your capabilities. Such an idea should be popular with a large number of people and at the same time encourage them to communicate or other interaction: watching videos, reading texts, comments, likes, etc.
Examples of already running decentralized social networks:
- Reddit on the blockchain, where users can publish, edit and distribute content in an open and closed form. Each user involved in the development and / or popularization of Steemit receives a reward in the form of a SMT token (Smart Media Token).
- Tube. Decentralized analogue of YouTube, allowing users to download, distribute and discuss videos in an uncensored environment and receive rewards for it. The system is based on Steem Blockchain and IPFS.
- Twitter analogue with transparent and decentralized regulation and censorship. The platform is based on the Ethereum blockchain.
- A system for building professional connections, created following the example of LinkedIn.
- A platform for communities where like-minded people share stories and perspectives without fear of social prohibitions and judgments. Users can pay Minds tokens to advertise their own, and earn tokens for viewing and / or other people interacting with their content.
- The first social network based on the blockchain EOS and at the same time the first decentralized network launched in China. It is distinguished by the lack of censorship and Minds monetization.
- Decentralized social network, tooled for the publication and distribution of news. It is assumed that the Sapien monetization model will reward people for interesting news and punish fakes, propaganda, hidden advertising and other “bad” and “unethical” publications.
As we see, the majority of decentralized social networks
are analogs of already existing sites. This approach has the right to implement, but it is better to create something new or make a social network for a specific target audience. This way is more effective in terms of marketing.
Step 2: Name and Domain Name
Having an idea, you can begin to choose the name of your social network
and create a domain name. Ideally, a name is one or a combination of two words that, in an obvious form, beats the idea of your project, is easy to pronounce and remember. Simple examples: iPhone, YouTube, Twitter and Google.
The name should not:
- violate copyrights (must be checked in the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and its counterpart in the EU, China, Russia and other major regions);
- be like the name of other brands, sites, social networks;
- to be misleading, for example, when the social network is called DOGCommunity, and the site is dedicated to marine fish or ornithology;
- have negative connotations (to protect and / or promote religious intolerance, fascism, racism, chauvinism, and the like).
Associating with content 18+ is allowed, but only if that is the idea of the project. This, by the way, is a good idea, since privacy is needed here, which is one of the main features of decentralized social networks.
You can check the availability of your domain name on Google Domains, Namecheap, Bluehost, and others. If the domain is already taken, you can sometimes buy it, for example, on Domain.com, NameCheap.com or GoDaddy.com. You can also try to create a domain name on sites that combine, cut and complement one or more keywords in various ways.
Step 3: Requirements and Functions
The next step in creating a decentralized social network
is defining the requirements for the site. Most of them are standard (features, security, design, code quality
), but some will be specific:
- What things should be decentralized. For example, who decides in which direction the platform should be developed, who decides where, how much and what kind of advertising to show, whether there will be censorship and what kind, who composes and can edit the User Agreement, etc.
- How to store user data and manage it. For example, you can create a decentralized social network in which the function of collecting personal data will not be implemented at the technical level, but you can create a system where the user will decide whether he wants to collect this data and how to use it: give, sell, change, delete.
- How to distribute the profits generated by the social network. Will the site collect all revenues in one pool and then distribute them among users according to their contribution. Or each user shows ads on his page and receives income from it without intermediaries.
Step 4: Development Approach
Development from scratch
. Ideal if you need to create a unique decentralized social network. It requires a lot of time and money, but it allows you to stand out among the competitors and realize something really new. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and Twitter and all other popular social networks are designs from scratch
Based on existing platforms. You can use existing platforms to launch social networks based on them, for example, Sola, Steem.io or Loom Network, sharpened for launching decentralized social networks, or EOS, TRON, Ripple or Ethereum. This reduces the time and cost of development, but limits in terms of features and functions of the product being created.
Ready solutions. White label and clones allow you to run a social network for a couple of days, spending from $ 100. Risky option that can play only if you need to start a social network in a segment without competitors.