Innovative technologies are changing the look of familiar things. Now progress has also touched such a seemingly well-established sphere as training, making it even more interesting and convenient. Now it is possible to find an application for almost any direction and study without leaving home at any time. All you need to do is install the app on your smartphone or tablet. The digital education trend has become so popular that the world's leading universities have adopted it. In this article, we will talk about developing applications, consider the features of programs and development cost.
We also recommend reading - ANGULAR VS REACT VS VUE: BEST CHOICE IN 2022.
E-learning in numbers
The German company Statista, specializing in consumer and market data, provided a report, according to which the digital learning market will grow to 243 billion US dollars by 2022.
There is also the following statistical information:
- about 64% of students prefer to view educational materials using mobile devices;
- applications are widely popular among smartphone and tablet users (about 90% of respondents actively download programs in the Play Market and App Store);
- users of smart devices show greater efficiency in acquiring knowledge and skills in comparison with people who do not use mobile gadgets.
The American Institute of Public Opinion Gallup also conducted a survey in which more than 71% of people called the concept of e-learning more understandable and accessible than the traditional one.
Main types of e-learning apps
The digital learning app market niche offers products for different target audiences and situations. The classification is carried out in two types:
- by teaching method;
- by target audience (TA).
Let's consider each of them in more detail.
By teaching method
This category is divided into several types. So that you can choose the right one, we will analyze them with some examples.
- Computer training CML. Here the study is carried out by computers. They also manage the process and evaluate the results. Coursera is considered a good example. Each of the courses on this site includes training videos and text materials, followed by a quiz and assignments for assessment.
- Computer training CAI. This methodology is an electronic manual that uses various teaching methods - video, audio and text materials. Such software is often used in schools and colleges as an addition to the main learning process.
- Synchronous online learning - SOL. In this case, students and teachers interact with each other from different points, but at the same time. Chats, video calls, etc. are used for communication. WizIQ is considered a striking representative of synchronous platforms. It has virtual classrooms with video calls, chat and online quizzes.
- Asynchronous learning - AOL. On such platforms, students learn without interacting with each other, users enter at different times. E-learning websites like Udemy are based on this self-study. Users study the chosen course with an intensity convenient for them personally.
- Fixed and adaptive learning. The main feature of the fixed learning process is that all users receive the same material. The platforms Udemy and Coursera mentioned above work just like that. In adaptive learning, the material is selected according to the needs and abilities of each student. ScootPad is a great example of a responsive platform.
- Interactive training online. Here a dialogue takes place between students and the platform in the form of quizzes, tests, polls. This technique allows you to master the material well and completely immerse yourself in the educational process. Codecademy platform uses this method for courses in programming languages.
- Individual training - IOL. Here each student independently studies the material and achieves the task. An example of such a platform is Khan Academy.
Below we will consider the division by the target audience.
By the target audience
There are 5 target audience groups in the digital learning industry:
- college or university students;
- tutors and children;
- people who learn something all their life;
- learners of languages and their native speakers;
- specialists in various fields.
Determining the target audience is very important, since it is impossible to make an application
without understanding which people will use it.
Initial stages of development
Now let's take a look at how to start creating an eLearning application. Let's divide our actions in stages.
Stage 1 - market analysis
Without confirmation of the uniqueness of your own idea, the future demand from a certain target audience, you cannot start development. It is necessary to carefully analyze competitors in a separate niche that you have chosen, find out what they offer, and inquire about the response of users to their products. For this, SWOT analysis will become an effective tool. It can be used to identify:
- strengths and weaknesses;
- opportunities that will help create a quality product;
- external threats that can affect success.
This analysis will help you plan your future business strategy.
Stage №2 - determination of target audience
This item will help to establish your target audience, potential users of the application. It is necessary to identify their main needs and wishes, approximate age, and so on. This will help to more accurately compile a list of future features for subsequent implementation.
Stage №3 – work on UI / UX design
This stage is determined by the future target audience. For example, a platform for children's learning should be bright, fun, elementary in management. It is better to create an application for an older user in a calm color scheme with a simple and intuitive interface. In both cases, the main thing is to adhere to brevity. Overloaded design can stress and scare users away.
Stage №4 –MVP features
Minimum Viable Product (MVP) is a version of the platform with a set of specific options that provide the core functionality. In other words, the minimum number of features to meet the needs of first users. The main advantages of MVP are quick entry to the consumer market due to the emphasis on the most important options and lower product development costs. Moreover, there is always a huge space for subsequent actions. After the release, you can add new features to the application
. MVP also makes it possible to understand how the released product matches the market with minimal cost, and subsequently make adjustments to the strategy.
Stage №5 – choosing the monetization method
According to the data, e-learning apps are in the TOP 5 most profitable ways to monetize.