Are you looking to do the create job board like monster?
Merehead is a leading software development company. Talk to our experts to get a turn-key solution!
Write to an Expert
Monster.com (formerly known as MonsterBoard.com) — is the first public website for finding online jobs, which was launched back in 1994.
A team of programmers, several years of real time, and millions of investment were required for the creation of this project then. Now you can launch such a site in one day without any programming skills. We’ll tell you how to do it in this article: how to create a clone
of the Monster.com online board quickly and with no programming skills.
Pick your project niche
It’s quite risky to develop a site, where it’s possible to post advertisements seeking employees and vacancies of any specialization. It’s because this project will have to compete directly with Monster, Indeed, and other market giants. It requires a large budget and a team of great programmers and marketers
It’s a lot easier and more appropriate to launch a niche product
, which would work only with vacancies of a certain industry like Hey Marketers, where marketers are looking for jobs, or Dice, where technical experts are seeking employment. The creation of this niche board requires less money ($200 will be enough, but the more the better) and time (a week or a month). It’s a lot easier for such a project to stand out. The main thing is for the niche to meet three requirements:
- Low competitiveness. It’s almost impossible to find a vacant niche, but you can select an industry, where there are few direct competitors. You can bet on a small but rapidly growing niche like the one WeWorkRemotely did by launching a portal for seeking remote work for techies. The niche grew rapidly and WeWorkRemotely with it.
- Sufficient market size. According to expert estimates, employers will be interested in the board if it has at least 5 thousand visits per month (this is true for the USA and Western Europe; minimum levels are lower in developing countries). This means you better avoid too narrow niches such as gastroenterology, gambling, freight transport driving, or marijuana cultivation. You are able to check the niche popularity with the help of Google Trends, Google keyword planner, or other tools of search inquiries analysis.
- Focus on online search. You should always keep in mind that, on statistics, 40% of the world population doesn’t have Internet access, and yet the Internet seems omnipresent.
Choose the website monetization model
Monster.com gets most of the profits from employers, who take out a subscription
, which provides the opportunity to post advertisements seeking employees and browse CVs of candidates, who have responded. Subscription prices: $280, $400, and $700 – the more you pay, the more advertisements you can create, and the more CVs you can look through. Apart from that, Monster.com is also making money on advertising and various additional services.
Here are several monetization options
with examples and prices, which you can implement when starting your clone
of the Monster.com website:
- Advertising. Employers often want to differentiate their advertisements somehow to draw the attention of a larger number of applicants or accelerate the process of search. It’s possible to implement this in several ways: first place in search results, place on the front page of the site, brighter design, adding the icons (fire, dollar, growth). You can charge a fee like Indeed ($0,1-1,5 per click) or like Glassdoor (purchase of a package for 50 and more clicks). Aside from it, you may also collect additional payment for promotion on social media.
- Subscription (membership). You are able to implement a subscription like Monster.com – by charging money for a certain package of possibilities (posting of Х advertisements and Y CV views), or you can do it like Glassdoor, where they provide three free vacancy advertisements within 7 days and then charge $255 every month for displaying these messages.
- Payment for listing. You can charge just for each advertisement posting. The cost of posting usually depends on the niche, but not always. For instance, when Corey Haines launched Hey Marketers, he had used a «pay what you want» scheme ($1 to $500) because he thought that a new website can’t take as much money as Monster.com or Indeed.
- Premium packages. This means that most features are provided free, but if the users need advanced features, they have to pay for them. For example, a feature of a search for job seekers on Indeed is free, but they have to get a subscription for $100-250 to contact people, who haven’t applied for their vacancy on Monster.com, you can get access to HR tools and contact management at an additional cost.
- Career services. Many sites for finding jobs provide such services as writing and improving CVs and covering letters, tips on how to rock an interview, etc. The cost of these services usually starts at $50 for a CVs or consultation. Besides, there’s often a possibility to sign up for a course on improving professional skills and/or change of qualification.
Develop a brand of a board
Logos and color schemes of popular websites on searching for online jobs
Choose and buy a domain name
. Almost all simple clickbait domain names in popular zones are already taken so you’ll have to choose from what’s available or buy a taken domain. You can check the availability of the domain that you’re interested in on GoDaddy and Launchaco. The price is $10 to $3000 per year. You may buy a taken domain on GoDaddy auction. The price is from $100 to several million dollars and then $10-$50 per year.
Determine the colors
. This will help to stand out amongst the competitors and create an eye-catching project image in the users’ heads. You can select an appropriate color scheme with the help of such portals as Adobe Color CC, Colormind, Color Safe, or their analogs. It’s possible to find a beautiful combination of fonts in blogs of designer agencies and marketing agencies.
Develop your company’s logo
. It should be something simple, recognizable, and related to the project name or niche. Monster.com is using its name as a logo now and sometimes it uses an image of a fantasy monster. The logo of HeyMarketers is a hand-operated loudspeaker; the logo of Glassdoor is a vector image of a window frame.
In addition, you are able to create a logo on your own if you have appropriate skills. Or you can hand it to the outsourced designer. Alternatively, you can use such services as Launchaco, Hatchful or Hipster Logo Generator,
Select an approach to the creation of the Monster clone
. The cheapest approach to the creation of a website for posting vacancies is to use CMS WordPress themes and plugins. It’s a free content management system, which doesn’t require any programming skills or web design skills. You only buy hosting, connect WordPress, and activate the necessary theme; for example, JobMonster, JobEngine, or Jobify. WordPress themes are usually distributed free or for $100-$500.
. They’re the best option for the creation of the Monster clone if you don’t want to waste your time and effort on purchasing and setting hosting, technical support, and compatibility problems. SaaS provider takes this over and you’ll take care of website content and marketing. The cost of such services is from $10 to several thousand dollars per month. Examples of SaaS providers for launching sites for job search are Strategies, TrueJob, Smartjobboard, and Madgex.
Development from scratch
. This is the most expensive and time-consuming approach, but it’s the only way you can not only clone Monster.com but also create its improved version. People resort to this method when they’re planning to work in highly competitive markets, where even the smallest advantage might be crucial. Besides, it’s the only way you can implement unique features. The cost of website development from scratch depends on complexity. Usually, it’s $10 thous. to $50 thous.
Resolve the traditional «chicken-and-egg» dilemma
All online platforms and boards should solve a classic puzzle: «What came first, the chicken or the egg?». Advertisements and traffic usually are interrelated: no advertisements → no traffic; no traffic → no advertisements; no advertisements → no traffic; and it goes around.
Such sites as Monster.com or Glassdoor solve this puzzle quite easily: you’re looking for public vacancies and transfer them to your platform.
The point is all market models start with the supply regardless of whether they are filled artificially or actually. It was drivers for Uber, developers for TopTal, and short-term rental for Airbnb.
In your case, you should search for vacancies in the chosen niche yourself and add them to your board. The most important thing is to have many advertisements and for them to be relevant at the time of your platform launch.
If we consider that usually filling in advertisements takes 15 to 30 minutes, you’ll have to spend about a week on manual filling the site with vacancies.
Develop a marketing strategy
Usually, most of the traffic sources for such sites as Monster.com are search results and affiliate programs
. Social media and other channels take second place unless it’s the main method of communication with the target audience.
You are able to understand what keywords in SEO you should bet on with the help of analysis of your direct competitors’ traffic
. As an example, here is the analysis of natural traffic of the WeWorkRemotely website, which is made using Ahref.